Mac Tips and Hints
Macs are fine computers with very good finish. Nevertheless I don't understand why typing certain characters, which are important for developers are so complicated (and not assigned on the keyboard):
- Select from cursor to left Ctrl-Shift-Left
- Select from cursor to right
There are some shortcuts working in most programs similar to Windows:
- Save (instead of Ctrl-)
- Select all
- Copy selection
- Move selection
- Back from full-screen
- Press Esc or move mouse pointer to top left and click green bubble
Since OS X is based on BSD Unix the terminal works rather the same as on other *nix systems.
Mount NAS and bind into home directory
- Only version that worked out of the box: https://www.imore.com/how-automatically-mount-network-drives-macos#network
- Alternatives I could not succeed with:
I have a lot of pictures, files, backups etc. on my NAS so it is important to get to this files instantly. In Finder the share could be easily mounted but I wanted a more integrated way:
- Create mount script with following content (use Sublime, not Script Editor which produces binary files!)
#!/bin/bash mkdir /Volumes/Feuerwehr mkdir /Volumes/FwMaterial mkdir /Volumes/Music mkdir /Volumes/MyDocuments mkdir /Volumes/NfsShare mkdir /Volumes/Video mkdir /Volumes/Photos mount_smbfs //<username>:<pw>@N3200/Feuerwehr /Volumes/Feuerwehr mount_smbfs //<username>:<pw>@N3200/FwMaterial /Volumes/FwMaterial mount_smbfs //<username>:<pw>@N3200/Music /Volumes/Music mount_smbfs //<username>:<pw>@N3200/MyDocuments /Volumes/MyDocuments mount_smbfs //<username>:<pw>@N3200/NfsShare /Volumes/NfsShare mount_smbfs //<username>:<pw>@N3200/Video /Volumes/Video mount_smbfs //<username>:<pw>@N3200/Photos /Volumes/Photos
- change file flags:
chmod u+x <filename>.sh
- execute it
- create some links:
ln -s /Volumes/FwMaterial/ ~/Documents/N3200FwMaterial etc.
Run this script on startup
See here. I did it with the Automator.
Initially Sublime cannot be called from the command line. Create a link to fix this:
ln -s "/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSuport/bin/subl" /usr/local/bin/sublime
- whole screen
- selected by mouse; press space bar to select a window
- Moving files into CD folder is very annoying and ???
- Wondershare DVD Creator
- Was not able to create a DVD containing file structure. (just wanted them on one level only...)
- Works with DVD-DL (Dual Layer) after configured in within the Preferences, Default sizes